Wildly Interesting Books

  • Adam's Task by Vicki Hearne
  • Anything by Colin Cotterill
  • Auguries of Innocence by Patti Smith
  • Big Box Swindle by Stacy Mitchell
  • Darwin: A Life in Poems by Ruth Padel
  • Gehry Draws
  • Human Smoke by Nicholson Baker
  • Out of Our Heads by Ava Noe
  • Stylepedia: A Guide to Graphic Design, Mannerisms, Quirks and Conceits
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larrson
  • The God of Small Things by Arundahti Roy
  • The Long Fall by Walter Mosely
  • The Martin Beck Series by Maj Sjowall and Per Waloo
  • The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
  • The Wrecking Crew by Thomas Frank
  • Vermeeer in Bosnia by Lawrence Weschler

Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year or Whatever


Throw away the totally ridiculous new year's resolutions


Here is David Maybury's prescription for life.


I eat foods that I like. I try to favor whole foods, and fresh fruits and vegetables.
I drink as much spring water as I can.
I rest as much as I can.
I have as much fun as I can.
I listen to music that I love as much as I can.
I spend some time alone everyday.
I spend time with wise friends. These are friends who are mindful and kind.
I spend time with my family.


This is from one of David's health updates:

I just have to stay with the truth of the moment. There are going to be ups, and there will be downs. I might be a melanoma miracle, or the cancer might catch up with me. I have been here before, and I know that all this speculation and crystal ball gazing is a waste of energy and time. I want to rededicate myself to my real purpose, which is sharing my experience as it unfolds, sharing with love and compassion. Right now, for whatever reason, my choice is starkly presented to me. Either I face the depression and anxiety of a terminal illness which all the medical people tell me is real and will get me, or else I believe in the miracle of healing, and share that miracle with my friends and family. In the space where I exist now, where time is art, and where multiple realities coexist at every moment. I simply need to rest in the winter sun streaming through the window, close my eyes, and go wherever the music takes me. The choice is then clear, without meaning, without judgement, without outcome.


When the Power of Love Overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Love,

-David

No comments: