Wildly Interesting Books
- Adam's Task by Vicki Hearne
- Anything by Colin Cotterill
- Auguries of Innocence by Patti Smith
- Big Box Swindle by Stacy Mitchell
- Darwin: A Life in Poems by Ruth Padel
- Gehry Draws
- Human Smoke by Nicholson Baker
- Out of Our Heads by Ava Noe
- Stylepedia: A Guide to Graphic Design, Mannerisms, Quirks and Conceits
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larrson
- The God of Small Things by Arundahti Roy
- The Long Fall by Walter Mosely
- The Martin Beck Series by Maj Sjowall and Per Waloo
- The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- The Wrecking Crew by Thomas Frank
- Vermeeer in Bosnia by Lawrence Weschler
Friday, October 19, 2007
Round Robin Poetry Rocks
Some of us went to the reading at the Porter Bookstore last Wednesday and had a swell time. The last poetry reading I went to was at Borders downtown where Emily Scudder had been asked to read along with--it seemed-- a hundred and twenty writers of verse, most of whom should have stayed home. It was a night to remember for all the wrong reasons.
Wednesday night's cast of "local" talent was of the highest caliber. The local part is about where the poets live and work, but some are known more widely. It was lively, sometimes very funny and always accessible. It felt rich and dense in the sense that there was so much to the readings. I found myself thinking about what a pleasure good, unpretentious poetry is.
Our good friends, Jim Henle(right), Iron Man of the Arts, and Emily Scudder(above), a nationally recognized poet, were on the bill; we are big fans.
Please take a look at Emily's Website listed in the Links. It's a great place to spend a rainy afternoon.